Dr. F. Javier Aragón Sánchez
Head of Department Surgery, Diabetic Foot Unit
La Paloma Hospital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
Dr. F. Javier Aragón Sánchez was born in Sevilla (Spain) on August 10th, 1963.
He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the Medical School of the University of Sevilla (1984-1990).
He specialised in General Surgery (1997)
2009 PhD University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. “Factors conditioning the outcomes of conservative surgery in cases of Diabetic foot osteomyelitis” obtaining the maximum mark (Sobresaliente por Unanimidad Cum Laude).
From 1/April/1997,I am the head of department of General Surgery and Diabetic Foot Unit in Las Paloma Hospital, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain).
Achievements and Positions
- He founded in 1999 a specialized Diabetic Foot Unit in the Paloma Hospital. Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain).
- Scientific advisor on diabetic foot problems of the endovascular diagnosis and therapeutic group (Hospiten, Tenerife)
- PhD in 2009 at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria with the thesis entitled “Factors conditioning the outcomes of conservative surgery in cases of Diabetic foot osteomyelitis” obtaining the maximum grade
- Chairman of the Interdisciplinary Diabetic Foot Study Group (Spain)
- Chairman of the First (Madrid 2003, Spain), Second (Sevilla 2005, Spain) and Fourth (Sitges 2013) National Interdisciplinary Diabetic Foot Meeting. Vice-chairman of the Third National Interdisciplinary Diabetic Foot Meeting (Toledo 2007, Spain)
- Coordinator of the yearly course of Diabetic Foot of the Complutense University (Madrid) from 2000-2014
- Founder member of the Spanish Wound Healing Society. Member of the scientific committee of the first (2011) and second (2012) Spanish Wound Healing Meeting
- Member of the Spanish Surgeon Association
- Member of the group of vascular surgery on behalf of the Spanish Surgeon Association
- Member of the European Diabetic Foot Study Group on behalf of EASD
- Local representative of the XI Meeting of the Diabetic Foot Study Group of the European Association of Study of Diabetes, Sitges 20-22 Septiembre 2013.
- Member of the Spanish Diabetes Association. Founder member and ex chairman of the Diabetic Foot Study Group on behalf of the Spanish Diabetes Association.
- Honorary Member of the Mexican Diabetic Foot Association.
- Assistant lecturer in the Health Science School, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria University.
- Collaborator lecturer in the Nursing Department, Complutense University, Madrid during different periods.
- Corresponding member of the International Working Group. Diabetic Foot working group on Infection 2011.
- Member of the board of the International Working Group on Diabetic Foot Infections 2015.
- International Scientific Advisory Board of the 7th International Symposium on the Diabetic Foot. The Hague, Netherlands, 2015.
- Member of the Association of Diabetic Foot Surgeons
- Member of the Editorial Board of the journals: “International Journal of Lower Extremity Wounds”, “Diabetic Foot & Ankle Surgery”, “Wound Medicine”, “Clinical Research on Foot and Ankle” y “Spanish Chemotherapy Journal”
- Author of three Textbooks: “El pie diabético” (The Diabetic Foot) and “Atlas de Manejo Práctico del Pie Diabético” (Atlas of Practical Management of Diabetic Foot) and “Puzzling Cases in Diabetic Foot Infections”.
- Author of 20 chapters in other textbooks.
- Lecturer about diabetic foot problems in more than 130 Spanish and International meetings.
- Author of more than 70 peer review papers dealing with diabetic foot.
- Collaborator on research and development projects dealing with diabetic foot problems in Costa Rica, Dominican Republic and Panama.
- His main research field is diabetic foot infections.
For full resume, please download:
- Javier A. Sánchez - CV (468 KB)